Tuesday, February 03, 2009

 

Tech Over-Promise


While I admire the impulse, I have trouble seeing this Sim Afghanistan project ever contributing any real insights.

Same goes for the Sim Iraq idea.
Put simply, if we had adequate mathematical models for human and societal behavior, then we could apply them at home to figure out who will win an election before it happens. Actually, that would be an easier challenge because it wouldn’t confront any language or culture barriers.
I’ve got a quant background, so I deeply identify with the desire to rationalize decision making through the use of models (so that we can do substantive what-if analysis). But these problems are so poorly defined and the content so staggeringly broad that I’m skeptical that we have the adequate knowledge to start building a useful tool.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
This is my personal blog. All opinions expressed are mine and do not reflect the position of any other person or organization

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?